[postgis-devel] Postgis topology creation - O(n-squared)? - creates problems with large datasets.

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Jan 13 12:56:04 PST 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 08:40:32PM +0000, Graeme B. Bell wrote:

> In the rest of the postgis/postgres community, bulk loading operations are generally provided as faster alternatives to manual/incremental operations, so this is not intuitive behaviour
> (e.g. pg_dump, shp2pgsql).
>
> If it is expected to be slower than manual incremental adding (which it isn't, in my measurements), that would be useful to have in the documentation somewhere.

It's not expected to be slower, just known to have more optimization
opportunities. Basically it's been given less work than the incremental
functions.

I've been profiling both over the weekend and can tell you they have
the same pattern, with the incremental function being _slightly_
faster in the beginning. More on this in another mail.

--strk;

 ()  ASCII ribbon campaign        - against html e-mail
 /\  http://www.asciiribbon.org   - against proprietary attachments