[postgis-devel] [cartodb] Re: GSOC weekly report 2 : Spatial clustering in PostGIS and CartoDB

mohit kumar mohitkharb at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 11:59:56 PDT 2014

Hi strk,

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Sandro Santilli <strk at cartodb.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 02:35:38PM +0530, mohit kumar wrote:
> > HI all,
> >
> > *What I got done this week?*
> > Implemented the Sp-gist algorithm on a small postgres database.
> > The code was taken form the spgist homepage
> > <https://www.cs.purdue.edu/spgist/> and needs to be modified as per our
> > needs of cartoDB.
> > The code is not modified yet and so not updated on the repository due to
> > copyright issues.
> > Will modify the code this week and will update the repository
>
> Note that the final code will need to be released as part of PostGIS
> so if the purdue.edu code cannot be licensed as GPL it's better to
> start from scratch instead.

I will ask the developers of the purdue.edu  code regarding the GPL
liscencing, else I would use the PostgreSQL SP-GIST index.

> What's in that package that isn't already in the PostgreSQL
> SP-GiST index ?
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/spgist.html
>
> I mean, don't you only need to implement the PostGIS connector ?

I wanted to modify the code for sp-gist to inculcate another integer field
for various levels of clustering, so worked on the source code by purdue
research group.

> > *Am I blocked on anything?*
> >
> > I had some issues with the Sp-gist indexing implementation, but were
> sorted
> > out in discussions with sp-gist developers.
>
> Is this discussion public ?
> Do they have a mailing list we can partecipate in ?
> Communication is an important part of the final product.

I mailed them personally.

> --strk;
>

> --
>
> ---