[postgis-devel] [cartodb] Re: GSOC weekly report 2 : Spatial clustering in PostGIS and CartoDB

mohit kumar mohitkharb at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 20:57:06 PDT 2014

Hi,
The idea to index was to get the points faster and clustered.
And I didn't got what you meant by your question.
Without indexing it could work but then processing needs to be done as a
controller not on a dB level. Or by changing the whole dB in a quad tree
format, which we are trying to implement by indexing the database.

Regards,
Mohit
On Jun 10, 2014 12:03 AM, "Oleg Bartunov" <obartunov at gmail.com> wrote:

> One quick question.  Are you mind  it should works without index !
>
> On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 6:25 AM, mohit kumar <mohitkharb at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Oleg for the help.
> > I am looking at the examples of the spgist opclasses, and would get
back to
> > you in case of any doubt.
> > My idea for clustering was to index point data using quad trees and
display
> > a single point in place of cluster of spatially close points.
> > The zoom level will decide the spatially close points that can be
> > represented as a single point. This zoom level would be given by the
> > map(user). If this value is integrated in indexing, the nodes having the
> > zoom value lower than the asked value would be send by the dB to the
map.
> > The purpose of keeping the child nodes was to show the number of points
in
> > the cluster represented by the single point. This point will be that
node
> > whose zoom value equaling the zoom value of the map.
> > I know this will make index creation very slow, but once done, the point
> > display in the map might become a lot cleaner.
> > This was what I thought on implementation of the work.
> > Your feedback and suggestions are much needed.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mohit
> >
> > On Jun 6, 2014 4:45 PM, "Oleg Bartunov" <obartunov at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Mohit,
> >>
> >> could you explain us what do you want from us :)
> >> Basically, you need to create new type (if needed) and write opclass
for
> >> spgist.  There are several questions:
> >>
> >> 1. Where do you get zoom level ?
> >> 2. Are you sure you want to keep number of child nodes ? It's too slow
for
> >> index creation.
> >>
> >> you may look  examples of spgist opclasses
> >> src/backend/access/spgist
> >>
> >>  Oleg

in

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/public/google/gsoc2014/mohitkharb/5698390809640960