[postgis-devel] Status of (constrained) triangulation functions

Tom van Tilburg tom.van.tilburg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 05:26:07 PST 2014

Hi List,

Anyone knows of the whereabouts of triangulation functions in postgis?
Is there development going on?

I'm using both ST_DelaunayTriangulation and ST_Tesselate for creating a
3D mesh based on pointcloud data together with land-use polygons. The
result is a mesh for every class in land-use which plays very nicely
with x3d exports.

I am much in the need however for a conforming constrained delaunay
triangulation (CCDT) that is able to:
     a) create triangles within a polygon (that are following the edge
of the polygon)
     b) conform to existing linestrings (as in breaklines)

At the moment I'm spending the largest part of my 500 lines of SQL for
getting the triangles to follow the polygon borders and it results in
both expensive and difficult code. I know that JTS is actually able to
do it for a long time
http://lin-ear-th-inking.blogspot.nl/2009/04/delaunay-triangulation-in-jts-111.html
but afaik it's never been ported to GEOS.

Fine print:
My company is willing to pay for further development of triangulation,
depending on the cost.

Best,
  Tom

P.S. afaik tessellate is with a double 'L'. Should I file a report about
that?