[postgis-devel] I want to add an algorithem into postgis

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Aug 3 02:22:25 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 07:19:15PM -0400, xschen wrote:

> I have an ideal to improve its performance, by calculating the
> intersects between the biggest inner circle of two geometry:
>
> bool intersects(geometry g1, geometry g2){
>     if( !g1.getEnvelope().intersects(g2.getEnvelope() ){
>         return false;
>     }else{
>         if(g1.getInnerCircle().intersects(g2.getInnerCircle() ){  //
> "getInnerCircle()" returns the biggest circle inside the polygon
>             return true;
>         }else{
>             //calculate its details
>         }
>     }
> }

[..]

> I am just begining to develop the postgis. I dont know its
> architecture, and I am solo.
> would someone please guide me? introduce the architecture of postgis.

The code you're looking at is in GEOS [1], which is a port of JTS [2].
The best way to introduce a new algorithm there is proposing it to the
JTS development list, writing it in Java. There might also already be
a minimum enclosing circle in JTS waiting to be ported, but you should
check that.

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/geos/
[2] http://tsusiatsoftware.net/jts/main.html