[postgis-devel] For PostGIS 2.2 moving forward make liblwgeom compatible between micro releases

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Aug 5 09:44:28 PDT 2015

Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 09:41:45AM +0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 01:30:10PM -0400, Paragon Corporation wrote:
>
>> > 2) Revise our configure scripts so it is possible to build liblwgeom without
>> > the PostgreSQL and other dependencies.  This I think we should table until
>> > PostGIS 2.3 since our plate is full with PostGIS 2.2 loose ends.
>>
>> +1 to both.
>> I agree on not rushing too much on the spin-off path.
>
> --without-postgresql support added to configure here:
> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/changeset/13882
>
> Tests from packagers are welcome.
> Note I did not attempt at avoiding failures when dependencies are not
> met, so you'll probably still have a configure error if PostgreSQL is
> not around (something that can be improved)

I haven't tested, but if there's going to be a --with-lwgeom-only
option, there should also be an option to only build postgresql,
assuming that liblwgeom is already installed, not building it and
linking with the installed version.  Then there can be separate
packages.  Otherwise, there will be two copies of liblwgeom and things
get messy.

This is really almost splitting it into two packages, but not quite.   I
realize there is concern about not wanting drift, so an alternative
could be to have two packages but in the same repo and distfile, so that
one would build/install one and then the other.

(This is not something I'm really paying attention to, but just pointing
out packaging issues as I see them.)