[postgis-devel] shp2pgsql

David Haynes II dahaynes at umn.edu
Wed Feb 18 08:15:37 PST 2015

Nothing published yet, but we are developing a working document.
Mostly we are testing this viability of spatial datasets and if a platform
supports complex spatial queries (i.e. vector raster overlay distributed
across a series of nodes). In addition we plan to conducting testing on
tile size and raster density in relation to these complex queries.

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 9:48 AM, Rémi Cura <remi.cura at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
> I find this research type very interesting.
> Do you have something published about your experiment and test of various
> cluster-postgres flavours?
>
> About loading geometry into your cluster, you may prefer to change OGR,
> which can read a lot more formats
> (and is however slower than postgis shp2pgsql).
>
> Cheers,
> Rémi-C

>> On 2/18/2015 10:21 AM, David Haynes II wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am working on a project that conducts high performance spatial
>>> analysis using postgresql and PostGIS. We have been searching for
>>> platforms that allow PostGIS to run in parallel. We have evaluated
>>> Postgres-xc and postgres-xl and determined that they do not meet our use
>>> case. Currently, I am evaluating CitusDB, but there seem to be some
>>> obstacles there as well. However, we are working on developing our own
>>> platform using Stado, which is dervied from GridSQL.
>>>
>>> We have had some initial results that look pretty promising and we are
>>> looking to modify the source code of the shp2pgsql to work with our new
>>> platform. If someone could provide the location of the code we would
>>> greatly appreciate it. Currently we are creating are geometries using
>>> the ST_GeomFromTxt function.
>>>

>> http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/browser/trunk/loader

David Haynes, Ph.D.
Research Associate Terra Populus