[postgis-devel] Concept of surfaces for rasters ( Interpolation of points)

Nathaniel Clay clay.nathaniel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 11:37:33 PST 2015

Hi all,

Has any one give any thought to having the ability to mark a raster as a
surface, then instead of returning the nearest value when a point is
queried against a raster it preforms a set interpolation method to return
an interpolated value. This would also get adjoining tiles, to fill in
missing points in the case of the interpolation window overflowing the
current tile.  Thus treating the raster as a surface instead as discreet
points. I believe that this would be a good option to have available for
DEMs in particular.  Would this be a welcomed edition to Postgis? I have
one new feature that I am working on that would benefit having this baked
in. I am considering bi-cubic and bi-linear interpolation options, should I
consider any others.

Thanks,

Nathaniel Hunter Clay