[postgis-devel] Install only loader

Peter Korduan peter.korduan at gdi-service.de
Wed Jul 1 07:26:35 PDT 2015

Hi,

I'm new to this mailing list. Apologize if my question not fits a
conceptional topic of this list.
I use postgis since years for a web mapping application, running in
single linux based application environments containing a web, map and
database server.

Therefore it was usefull to have the laoder installed together with the
postgis extention. User could upload shape files over the webserver, php
called shp2pgsql to load the shapes into the database in the background
and the map server provide the new layer in its web client interface as
many other application do.

Since i changed the runtime environment to separate docker containers
linked together only via services I have the general question to postgis
if it not would be a good idea to have the loader in a separate debian
package without postgis and postgresql itself.

It may be more a special question for the debian package builder
Francesco Paolo Lovergine, Stephen Frost, Markus Wanner or Bas Couwenberg.

My problem in a litle more detail.
If I have one docker container with a postgis installation e.g.
mdillon/postgis. Postgis is installed with all its dependencies. Than I
have another container only with a web mapping server. With the postgres
container linked into the web container I have access to the database
over the tcp connection, but not to the loader. I had to install the
loader within the web application container, but the package of postgis
would install all these database stuff I have allready in the postgres
container. This would be redundant wouldn't it? Anybody know an easy way
to install only the loader with a debian or ubuntu base image in a
Dockerfile? Is it of interest or planned to support a package only with
postgis loader and helpers?

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Best regards Peter Korduan

--