[postgis-devel] ST_DimensionRange() ?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue May 26 08:24:54 PDT 2015

I was looking for the minimum and maximum M values in a geometry and
to my surprise found NO FUNCTION to do that :'(

So I'm back deep into my BOX nightmare:
we don't have a BOX containing the M value !

My current most useful proposal about this is to use a LINESTRING
as a general mean to represent dimensional ranges:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-devel/2015-February/024780.html

Could it be time, for 2.2.0, to give that vision a body and provide
an ST_DimensionRange(geometry) function returning such a linestring ?
The returned linestring will have the same dimensions as the input
geometry and either 0 (for empty input) or 2 points representing minimum
(ST_StartPoint) and maximum (ST_EndPoint) dimension values.

Do you like the idea ?
Would you like to suggest a better name ?