[postgis-devel] wait till monday for final ?

Bas Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 8 02:26:03 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-08 11:12, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 08, 2015 at 10:04:49AM +0200, Bas Couwenberg wrote:
>> On 2015-10-08 10:00, Sandro Santilli wrote:
>> >Can we wait till monday to ship 2.2.0 ?
>> >I'm working hard to try at fixing the topology performance regression
>> >documented here: https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3321
>>
>> That sounds reasonable, and I would also suggest to publish RC2
>> first to verify that no new issues were introduced since RC1.
>
> Well it looks like we missed that train:
> http://download.osgeo.org/postgis/source/postgis-2.2.0.tar.gz
>
> Current trunk is already patched, but that changes the liblwgeom
> API/ABI, which means a crash if a dynamically-linked liblwgeom
> is ever updated from 2.2.0 to the version with that fix :(

With that in mind I suggest to start a vote to bless the current trunk
as 2.2.1.

It's clear that the PostGIS release process needs improvement, have a
look at the process for GRASS, MapServer, GDAL and PROJ.4 for example.
They bless the latest RC version as final after a PSC vote, that makes
sure that all the code included in the final release has been tested in
the RCs.

If the RCs get to little testing you can also adopt the QGIS process for
which the X.Y.0 is the considered a release candidate that gets real
world testing and generates many fixes to be included in the .1 release
shortly thereafter.

For Debian we'll keep PostGIS 2.2.0 in experimental until this API/ABI
breakage is fixed in 2.2.1 or later.

Kind Regards,

Bas