[postgis-devel] Repost (GBell)

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Tue Oct 13 16:16:41 PDT 2015

On October 12, 2015 at 12:38:03 PM, Graeme B. Bell (graeme.bell at nibio.no) wrote:

I’m not a postgis dev, just someone who has tried to send in a few lines of code in the past to postgis and other open source projects.

I think using git with e.g. github/gitlab would be a great thing for non-core devs, because pull requests are excellent for code review and combined with CI can ensure that old proposed patches are still meaningful against current code (e.g. the master branch is a moving target, and it may take time to integrate an old proposed patch). The latter is a big deal for people who don’t have time to continually revise their patch against a current master branch otherwise.

This sort of thing isn’t an issue for core devs who regularly communicate, are compiling against bleeding edge code, and have low barriers to adding new code.
But for people outside the circle, the systematic approach code review of PRs is great and also offers a very easy way for a core dev to integrate the code immediately once approved.

The branching model of git is also excellent in terms of breaking up proposed patches into their smallest-reviewable-units.

Graeme.