[postgis-devel] is PostGIS ready for git ?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Oct 13 23:21:49 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 01:30:44AM -0400, Paragon Corporation wrote:

> > What about PostgreSQLs git repositories? They don't have "a special place" for extensions?
>
> They have their own which is not github and they have a mirror on github.
>
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/

Pretty much what I'm proposing for ourselves (having our own).

> The problem with relying on OSGeo infrastructure too much is that we
> have unpaid volunteers.  And trust me maintaining bots and all that stuff
> is a big burnout job. Maintenance is way more work than cost of servers.

[...]

> Rather than asking for things we should insure our hard-working people
> get paid or are better rewarded before we start demanding things.

I fully understand both points, and surely can feel the problem
(git/trac was requested 4 years ago...).

If OSGeo cannot pay for the infrastructure maintainance we'll need
another option. But it's a pity, looking at the surplus of the last
3 years:

 ~47k USD in 2013 - http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2013
 ~40k USD in 2014 - http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2014
 ~75k USD in 2015 - http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2015

First point in the OSGeo Goals list is "to provide resources for
foundation projects", third is "promote the use of open source
software in the geospatial industry":

 http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/about.html

That said, I don't like "asking" either so I'm actually trying to
help the good Martin Spott on the task of allowing hosting git
repositories on OSGeo machines, and I don't think we're far.

What we're up to is a system in which you'd be able to maintain the
current trac instance and no need to migrate any existing ticket.
We'll be able to register multiple repositories with trac and
reference changesets in each from the tickets, so that existing
tickets will keep pointing to the old repo, while new tickets will
possibly refer to new repos.

Is this work not worth the trouble, you're suggesting ?

I'm learning as I go, which is one of the basic freedoms Free Software
provides. Something that would not be possible by just moving the
code to github. I'm learning to setup my own trac/git instance, shall
github fail, OSGeo stop providing infrastructure or whatever.

So, to me, it's time spent much better than on migrating tickets to
github, even if no Open Source company offerend fundings to do that (yet).

--strk(learning_to_fish);