[postgis-devel] repository hosting (was: is PostGIS ready for git ?)

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Oct 15 06:10:25 PDT 2015

On 15 October 2015 at 14:41, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
> [subject changed to not mix git and GitHub]
>
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 01:05:03PM +0100, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
>
>> For our purposes, the github pull requests are roughly equivalent to
>> someone waving a flag and shouting "hey, go look at this patch!" rather
>> than as a direct pull request. Perhaps we should think about integrating
>> the buildbots on a "pending" branch that committers can then merge into,
>> and then once a clean set of builds have passed can be merged and pushed
>> to master. Otherwise it doesn't really save the developer much work as
>> he/she would have to manually add the remote, download the code and run
>> the regression tests before a commit and then push. Is this something
>> that we can do with github as-is?
>
> Partial automatic checking of pull request is already in place:
> https://travis-ci.org/postgis/postgis/pull_requests
> A buildbot (Travis) runs tests for some configuration.
> But only for code that gets in GitHub branches.

FYI, Travis CI service(as well as AppVeyor) also automatically builds
GitHub pull requests.
This covers Mark's suggestion to "once a clean set of builds have
passed can be merged and pushed to master"

I guess, GitLab offers similar integration as such automation
is a must-have feature these days.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz  Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net