[postgis-devel] repository hosting (was: is PostGIS ready for git ?) NO?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri Oct 16 01:52:11 PDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 10:49:17PM -0400, Paragon Corporation wrote:

> Is there a benefit to having a git - git mirror over an svn - git mirror?

One benefit (minor) is with a full-git solution you could accept
git-formatted patches withouth having to rewrite credits in the commit
log, because the author is already encoded in the git-formatted patch.

Another would be being able to use other projects under git as
submodules (think the doc/ subdir, for example). I don't really see
an urgent need for that right now.

> If there is it's probably only a benefit to core developers like
> strk, nicklas, dustymugs

Actually, I don't see it as a huge benefit myself.
Maybe packagers do, if I'm not wrong Greg Toxel mentioned it would
be easier for them to track PostGIS from the debian git repo.

> How inconvenienced are core developers with working with svn over git?

No problem for me.

> How inconvenienced are we with copying patches from github/gitlab ci
> to our main repo or just telling folks, if you want your patch accepted
> hand us a patch on trac.

I've no problem asking to stick to the protocol.

> If they aren't willing to do that much, then maybe they aren't worth
> our hassle.

Agreed. So far no contributor complained about that, as far as I know.

> I'm not seeing the brave new world looking any better than what we
> have now and it seems not a trivial effort to get there.

Let's hear from packagers too.