[postgis-devel] repository hosting

Nathan Wagner nw+pg at hydaspes.if.org
Fri Oct 16 09:29:18 PDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 10:52:11AM +0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> Let's hear from packagers too.

I make a package for postgis for my linux distribution.  I just pull
from http://download.osgeo.org/postgis/source/postgis-$pkgver.tar.gz and
build with 'configure --prefix=/usr --disable-rpath --with-topology'

I did note that the resulting makefiles are incomplete, and I have to
compile with 'make -j1' rather than the usual (for my build system)
'make -j12'.

But assuming that release tarballs are created, I don't think it matters
from a packaging perspective how the tarballs are built.  It's
conceivable that a packaging system could know how to build from a
subversion repo but not a git one, but I'm not aware of any.  So I don't
think packaging concerns would prevent (or promote) a change to git as
long as there's a predictable url for releases.

--
nw