[postgis-devel] repository hosting (was: is PostGIS ready for git ?) NO?

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri Oct 16 14:56:51 PDT 2015

>> On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 07:41:38AM -0400, Daniel Baston wrote:
>>  If PostGIS were to accept contributions only through patches posted to
>> Trac, I think it would bring about two barriers to contributions:

> Agreed. But if we want to keep some consistency between commit logs and trac tickets / NEWS items we'd then have the barriers on ourselves, having to create a ticket ourselves.

> Or, we can use a looser protocol and just apply patches straight away, reference revisions in the NEWS and rely on the commit log for getting to the origin of that change... (more likely to happen).

> --strk;

My thinking is that people would put in a ticket in trac about a feature request, and either provide a link to the git/pull where they patched it or the patch itself.
Dan as I recall, I think you've been pretty good about that.  Has it been a big burden?

I'm not so against people having code conversations in github/gitlab or whatever about a patch, as that's all noise anyway when you are trying to figure out what new features we've got going.

In the end we just need a centralized location to query what's new, in queue for new, and what commit it happened in (or patch it is in).

Getting back to Greg's point - related to his point,
A lot of people who report issues are not developers.  They have crash reports and how to reproduce which I think are often more important than new development.
Many of them do not have github accounts. If they are going to have to register as a user in some organization, Selfishly I'd prefer that organization to be OSGEO than github, if nothing more than for marketing :)

Thanks,
Regina