[postgis-devel] repository hosting

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Tue Oct 20 00:04:38 PDT 2015

On 19/10/15 20:12, Paragon Corporation wrote:

> One could argue similarly people who put in documentation typo fixes may
> not want to create a github account just to do so and a lot of those
> folks aren't necessarily developers.
>

> Interesting idea about bot auto-create though I could see that going
> haywire.  So would only do it if we have a mass number of developers
> pushing git pulls having issue with putting in trac tickets.
>
> Maybe we can have a survey sometime about that to get a sense of how
> much contribution we are losing by forcing people to put in trac tickets.

Note that even this workflow isn't required for git. Most projects will
happily accept patchsets sent to the -devel list using "git send-email
<commit-id>" which bundles up each commit in a specially formatted email
that can be applied by a committer locally using "git am" and then
pushed to the upstream repository. The record of the original committer
is handled via SoB tags or within the commit message as appropriate.

ATB,

Mark.