[postgis-devel] "SVN on behalf of" considered harmful

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Oct 20 00:44:55 PDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 07:55:52PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> So I think this:
>
>   From: SVN on behalf of Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net>
>
> should be
>
>   From: Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net>
>
> which is how regular mail from strk@ looks.
>
> This is not abuse of From:, because the message really is being
> generated on behalf of the committing user, and contains comments whose
> semantics are determined by the commit and commit message.  It would be
> appropriate to set a Sender: field to indicate this, although the
> message goes to a mailinglist that will replace the sender field anyway.

Right after replying to a commit notification from Regina I found
myself agreeing with you as I wasn't really replying to "SVN" there...

So I went ahead and removed the "SVN on behalf of" portion.

And, you're right about the "Sender" header being replaced, as I'm now
really setting it, but not receiving from the mailing list. Do you
have other suggestions as to how specify the mail was automatically
generated ? Any standard header for that ? Or should we just invent
an X-Generated-By ?