[postgis-devel] postgis extension sans raster (only for folks who can't compile with raster support) - PSC Vote and developer/packager comments please

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Oct 24 12:14:26 PDT 2015

Bborie,

The issue is as I understand it is he doesn't package GDAL so he gets it from upstream and upstream GDAL compiles in QT to support other GFOSS.

So to install PostGIS you have to end up installing those other things which then causes internal conflicts or you might not even have GDAL if your OS is too old.

I think Devrim (yum.postgresql.org guy) expressed the same for older OS he supports that he relies on GDAL from upstream.  Which is why he can't package PostGIS raster with CentOS 5 and has been apologetic for it that he can't offer the same extension support for that as he does for newer systems.

Doing this will also help those CentOS 5 folks out so they can at least do

CREATE EXTENSION postgis;

Like everyone else.

Yet another reason why I don't want liblwgeom to be a system thing that PostGIS has to rely on.

Thanks,

Regina