[postgis-devel] liblwgeom symbols exported by postgis module

Markus Wanner markus at bluegap.ch
Tue Sep 29 02:12:33 PDT 2015

Hi,

On 09/28/2015 03:31 PM, Paragon Corporation wrote:
> If we make changes to liblwgeom in a minor release, even if the api did not change, I don't want my older PostGIS  affected by it.

A use case I understand, but one that seems developer specific. A user
rarely needs that kind of reproducibility. Why on earth would he *not*
want a fix in liblwgeom to affect older PostGIS versions?

> Because I use that for easier regression testing knowing that the only thing that changed is PostGIS is PostGIS (e.g. I'm fine they share the same geos etc. cause I'm not testing that and like all else being equal).

This basically means you're not considering liblwgeom an external
library. That's fine as well, but then it should probably not be one.

Again: By shipping liblwgeom as a library, you're making your code more
accessible and more useful. But you're also taking the burden of API
decisions, stability and separation. Like having to specify which
versions of liblwgeom work with what versions of PostGIS (and test those
combinations, as with all other libraries).

To me it still seems like the PostGIS project is undecided there and
wants all the benefits, but none of the associated costs. That's
understandable as well, but wishful thinking.

Regards

Markus Wanner