[postgis-devel] Bug in default B-Tree operator class for geography

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed Aug 24 08:25:21 PDT 2016

Thanks for this Peter.
Fortunately b-tree opclasses on geom/geog are but rarely used and even more
rarely build into actual indexes, since they don't provide any useful
spatial searching capability. They are there so that people can use 'group
by' and 'order by'. So, I don't think that fixing them to be
deterministically ordered should cause any especially bad user-facing
effects (by the same token, the fact that they are broken probably hasn't
bitten anyone, particularly since they are broken on empties, which also
show up rarely in practice).
Unless anyone has serious concerns, I'll take this on. It's a behaviour
change, but one that probably nobody will notice in practice.
ATB,