[postgis-devel] Validity flag

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Feb 29 09:06:18 PST 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 08:50:02AM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Yes, it's our most complete, but it's not fully complete I think,
> since the 3d stuff wasn't documented in it, though they just follow
> the pattern of polygons, I believe.

Then it should be improved, before we can make an informed decision.
For example I also read that we have 21bits reserved for SRID and
"3 spare bits", what are those bits used for ?

> Any attempt to add more flags
> will have to go with a comprehensive reorganization of the
> serialization to try and maintain compactness and also maintain
> alignment.

Yes, I understand this. Either we add another 8 bytes, or we loose
alignment of detoasted data unless we memcpy it elsewhere...