[postgis-devel] PostgreSQL 9.5.0 has just been stamped

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Mon Jan 4 21:21:39 PST 2016

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 20:55:38 -0500, Greg Troxel  wrote:

"Paragon Corporation"  writes:

> Slight correction. PostgreSQL 9.5.0 has been stamped, not yet released :).
> Packagers embargo is on.
>
> So we still have probably 1-2 days so to catch the train.

I am really not following this. Are you saying that postgis-current
does not work with 9.5.0? Or that 2.2.0 doesn't? And are you implying
that somehow postgis is expected to work immediately when there is a new
postgresql version?

Hi Greg - its really just the opposite of most of that.. both PostGIS
and Postgresql
have really long development cycles -- daily testing via Jenkins, other
buildbots and
individuals and teams, have been running the combination for a long time..

       I don't see the panic; 9.5.0 is by definition
bleeding edge, and certainly is going to take a at least a little bit to
show up in packaging systems.

  hmm I would say its just the opposite of that, again. Pg 9.5 is
heavily validated
on the day it arrives.. the chance of a serious, very unexpected bug in
9.5 is
small.

Sort of separately, I'm not sure what the 2.2.1 plan is, but given that
people have other things to do, it seems there should be a more-or-less
freeze with a week for people to pre-package and check things. It will
probably take me an hour to test. It seems the time to test is now, as
it feels like no more changes are planned.

--
Brian M Hamlin
OSGeo California Chapter