[postgis-devel] PostgreSQL 9.5.0 has just been stamped

Devrim GÜNDÜZ devrim at gunduz.org
Tue Jan 5 07:23:51 PST 2016

Hi,

On Tue, 2016-01-05 at 09:44 -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> I don't see it that way at all.  packaging updates of postgresql and
> postgis are independent, in my world.

It is almost the same for the RPMs, but when we release a .0 PostgreSQL
version, it is good to have a new version of 3rd party stuff, so that
we can build and test everything at once. That is why I asked the
release soon.

> The other thing about packaging is that it's not about having the
> latest immediately. It's about having a version that one can
> confidently recommend as reasonable to people who want to run X but
> don't know how to choose.

They always have the option not to apply the update. The older versions
are always in the repo.

>  So while 9.5.0 might get added quickly, I definitely wouldn't
> recomend anyone to start on it until it's been out for a while, even
> if I think testing has been excellent.

Let's leave this to users, and also to the testers. I know lots of
people who started testing 9.5 already with the RPMs, and they also
bugged me for releasing PostGIS along with PostgreSQL.

RPMs have tried to be up2date as much as possible, btw.

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ