[postgis-devel] MSSQL Serialization

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Jan 21 14:49:11 PST 2016

Dan found this link https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee301648(v=sql.105).aspx <https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee301648(v=sql.105).aspx>

It’s really interesting, I wish I could ask them questions :)
Some good use of flagging to keep things like points small. We come out slightly larger, I think, because of padding to keep the coordinates double aligned.
They do not appear to bother with alignment. Maybe because they expect to always be on x86 architectures and others that don’t fault on unaligned access? Though there’s still a (theoretical) performance penalty to unaligned access even on x86.

P.