[postgis-devel] Project Proposal GSOC16 | SFCs

Ankush Chauhan achauhan4 at student.gsu.edu
Wed Mar 23 09:14:31 PDT 2016

Within this indexing schema these 2D space can be benchmarked with previous SAMs(Spatial Indexing Mechanisms) for scalability and fairness analyatics which can be helpful in overall query processing time.
As displayed in the above diagram the second table with combination of primary and secondary indexes can intersect two different SAMs and improve query processing.

And in the context of PostGIS it can speed up kNN queries.

No offense, but the current PostGIS SAMs are naïve and SFCs can surely fill up the gap for scalability of dimensions from 3D and beyond.

Why can’t the DBA have the choice of choosing indexing mechanism based upon their application, moreover these SAMs can also help convert LiDAR point data into 2D.

That being said I am open to further discussions, if the above idea is not novel enough for PostGIS, I am actively seeking ways to contribute to PostGIS. I have an expertise in the concepts Spatial Databases and scientific computing.
I am open for suggestions on similar project ideas out there, if any.

Thanks & Regards
Ankush Chauhan
Student
Department of Computer Science