[postgis-devel] PostGIS function costs

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri May 6 11:10:47 PDT 2016

On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 11:35:37PM -0700, Paul Norman wrote:
> Short version: I have a way to get accurate PostGIS function costs and
> will be doing a PR.

Good job, Paul.

My concern is that the same function (say ST_Buffer) may cost very
few cycles or a lot of cycle depending on the input (a point vs. a
line with hundreds or thousand of vertices). I guess this is a common
problem with variable-size types.

I wonder if it would make sense to have the work you did packaged
as an extention to run on the *real* data for a given database
and tweak costs accordingly.