[postgis-devel] Note to Package Maintainers

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Fri Oct 7 14:20:56 PDT 2016

David,

Done.

Added here –

http://postgis.net/install/  (at bottom. Also added EDB since that was missing)

Couple of observations installing the BigSQL 9.6 windows 64-bit

1)      I got PostGIS 2.3.0rc1 instead of the released PostGIS 2.3.0.

2)      It would be really neat if you distributed ogr_fdw as well, which should be fairly trivial compile since you are packaging GDAL and it's so useful for spatial ETL stuff - https://github.com/pramsey/pgsql-ogr-fdw

Which gets me to my next couple of points

I mentioned BigSQL here:

http://postgis.net/windows_downloads/

Ideally I would like to provide details of how people can add PostGIS related components missing in BigSQL windows distribution to theirs or try out some interim builds of things,

so that this page isn't so EDB weighted.

Not sure if that would be kosher with you folks or not.  The optimal goal being that we are completely compatible and our components are swappable.

I think they are for the most part now, except for the SFCGAL/ogr_fdw can't just be swapped in without completely replacing your PostGIS since our GDALs are compiled with different features and your

PostGIS isn't compiled with SFCGAL support.

For the most part for example, the pgRouting on that page installs fine on the BigSQL distribution if I pay careful attention to the difference in path locations you have vs. the EDB distribution.

I think I had tried PostGIS too and was able to swap out yours with the one I compiled that includes SFCGAL support last I tried with your PostgreSQL 9.6beta

I'm currently using mingw64 gcc 4.8.3 but still planning to upgrade to the gcc 4.9.2 that you guys use for building, so our versions should be even more compatible in the future.

Thanks,

Regina