[postgis-devel] PostGIS dependency CharLS was retired in EPEL

John Harvey john.harvey at crunchydata.com
Wed Oct 19 13:35:37 PDT 2016

Hi folks,

I was building postgis 2.2.3 today, when things broke strangely during
dependency processing:  "No package CharLS available".

I did some research, and apparently this dependent library was orphaned
today, with this message:
2016-10-19: Retired orphaned package, because it was orphaned for
more than six weeks.

You can see that info here as well:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/CharLS.git/

So, one of postgis's dependencies is no longer in EPEL.
I checked on the #epel channel in Freenode, and they had this to say:
"If you're a Fedora packager, you can request that you become the
maintainer of that package and that it be un-retired.  It was just retired
today so that can be undone easily.  But of course it can only be undone if
someone actually wants to maintain it."

So... I'm not really sure what to do here.  I can build CharLS myself, but
that sounds like a big ask for anyone using PostGIS on EL6.  It's probably
worth asking if anyone wants to stand up and maintain the CharLS package on
EL6?  Or, could the CharLS dependency be removed?

Thanks!
  -John