[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Github or Gitea (OSGeo Git) or stay on SVN

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Aug 8 13:56:47 PDT 2017

Here is my understanding of situation

Everyone wants GIT of some sort (Sandro, Mateusz, Dan Baston etc.)
Most people want Github (Mateusz, Paul Ramsey, Dan Baston etc.)
Some people want Github as the official repo to simplify the process
(Mateusz and Paul Ramsey)

We've already got postgis website, buidbot repo on OSGeo git.

I want my tickets and comments preserved cause I still remember the mess
getting off of google code.

I like svn more than git just cause git provides me nothing of value I can
appreciate at the moment, but I'm willing to let go of that in spirit of
doing what's best for all.

Github has a community so we'll always need at least a mirror there.

Having github as anything but a mirror seems pretty pointless (aside from
Gitea upkeep) to me unless the tickets are there as well which brings up the
question of how to push our existing tickets there,
How to export our tickets and comments should github decide to become evil
or we just want to get off for some other reason.

Some staunch Free Software advocates - Sandro, Sebastien, Linus, and I think
a lot of PostgreSQL devs don't like their primary source control being a
proprietary thing.
I feel somewhat in that camp but feel it might be an illogical / emotional
gut feeling drive thing that I might need to learn to let go.

That said my vote is for:

Gitea (OSGeo Git) / OSGeo Trac / mirror GitHub - ditch SVN

Reason being is if for some reason Gitea doesn't work out, I think it's far
easier to move from Gitea to GitHub
It also means tickets don't need moving (though having the seamless patch
view would be gone and I'd have to settle for a link to a git pull).
Until we get tracgit working.

It also means I don't have to worry about exporting tickets and comments out
of github should something go wrong with github or we decide github is no
longer the solution for us.

If we decide to change, I was thinking we can do it after PostGIS 2.4
release and start with PostGIS 2.5.

Other people feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

Thanks,
Regina