[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Github or Gitea (OSGeo Git) or stay on SVN

Daniel Baston dbaston at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 06:12:27 PDT 2017

> End users reporting bugs – many of these don't have github accounts so
> forcing them to create an osgeo instead of github sounds better. You can
> argue creating a github account is easier these days.

I'm not sure about this.  Remember that the OSGeo account creation process,
if you can find it, requires that you send an email or go on IRC and
explain why you need to have an account, the null hypothesis being that you
want to spam people or perform other mischief**.  If you decide to write a
request, you may hear back after a few days, or it may fall through the
cracks.  Meanwhile, you have moved on to other work and the information you
wanted to paste into the ticket is no longer in front of you.  This is a
pretty unwelcoming system, and one that I suspect most people never bother
to deal with.

If GitHub is not an option, I'd prefer to stick with SVN and Trac.  At
least they're stable, and the pull request process doesn't have do diverge
into troubleshooting the hosting platform.

Dan

**Interestingly, when writing this request, users are advised to provide a
link to a public profile such as GitHub to verify their identity.