[postgis-devel] Vote to bump minimum GEOS from 3.3 to 3.5 -PostGIS 2.4.0

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Aug 22 17:01:12 PDT 2017

"Regina Obe" <lr at pcorp.us> writes:

> Now as to upping the GEOS version while we are in alpha.  Normally we
> try to catch this before release but didn't even notice that we
> allowed 3.3 as our minimum since we had a glaring warning that you
> should be using GEOS 3.6 (or was it 3.5, I forget).

I didn't mean you shouldn't take the change.  It sounds sensible.  I
just meant that you should view it as significant, and realize that
everyone needs time to test.  Hence my notion of cycling to alpha.  But
if it's multiple weeks to release, that seems fine.  I am just reacting
to previous history on other projects where I wake up to a big change
and a release in the same 24h period.  But it may also be that it's of
near zero consquence for people testing with up-to-date packaging
systems that are all at 3.5 or higher.

I also don't follow the notion that there are lots of people out there
actually running geos 3.4 or earlier and having performance problems but
that those same people won't have problems if the requirement is
changed.  Perhaps the notion is that all of them are behind in some
not-ok way and this will make them deal, and stop bug reports that
shouldn't be filed, so all in all it's good for the community.  If so,
that sounds totally reasonable.