[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Change PostGIS library name to drop the minor

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Mon Aug 28 09:25:09 PDT 2017

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:47:14AM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:
> As discussed in my last note:
>
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-devel/2017-August/026297.html
>
> I would like to drop the minor version in the PostGIS library, but to still
> allow developers to run two versions of PostGIS in same PostgreSQL cluster
> if they want to , introduce a new configure switch
>
> --use-minor-version
>
> Which defaults to false for 2.4
>
> This is ticketed here:
> https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3807

We're promising we won't break the ABI of the PostGIS,
Raster or Topology modules without changing the filename.

As we hadn't made this promise before, when we were
putting Major.Minor in the name, maybe it makes more
sense to start the new naming with the next major
version.

Also we've been in future freeze for some time now, so
it's again a possibly dangerous last-time change.

For the above reasons: -0 here