[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Change PostGIS library name to drop the minor

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Aug 29 07:28:37 PDT 2017

> Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
> I've just finished my upgrade to Postgres 10.
> Fixing PostGIS library name would have made the upgrade cleaner and save
> some fiddling with symlinks.
> Although, same problem is there for pgrouting, so you're getting used to
it
> :)

> https://gist.github.com/Komzpa/994d5aaf340067ccec0e

Darafei,

Thanks for the input.  That's the same suggestion I've given to folks which
is why I am proposing to codify it.

When I tell people to do this they look at me with blank stares and
completely misunderstand my instructions.

Instead they do the wrong thing and try to use the postgis-2.3 of old
cluster  to  link a  postgis-2.3 to new cluster.
And of course that doesn't work because when pg_upgrade tries to load the
postgis-2.3 .so compiled for pg9.6 in a pg10 it fails.
And they scream "It doesn't work!" :)

.  I'm glad you have a gist there to codify it.

Regarding the pgRouting release, that's just Vicky copying us.
In pgRouting case it actually makes more sense for them to do that for 2
reasons

1) Vicky is doing massive changes to pgRouting to push to pgRouting 3.0
state so she's changing old functions and completely changing behavior too.
2) pgRouting doesn't have column data types, so it's not tied to your data
like postgis is.

Simply dropping the pgRouting extension before upgrade
And adding the new one after upgrade works for most folks.

Thanks,
Regina