[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Change PostGIS library name to drop the minor

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Tue Aug 29 22:14:52 PDT 2017

On 29/08/17 14:57, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 09:33:34AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
>
>> Perhaps we can improve the upgrade process by warning users ahead of
>> time in a nicer way than the error pg_upgrade throws today, but I'm not
>> sure what that would really look like.
>
> I wonder if `pg_upgrade` itself could get a switch added to
> automatically upgrade extensions, maybe something to be called
> specified in the extension's control file...

Right so just to clarify - the primary issue is that pg_upgrade fails
when upgrading both PostgreSQL and PostGIS? Do the CREATE FUNCTION
definitions make it through the upgrade, and so it's just the lack of
the old shared library that causes the problem?

But yes, I believe this is more along the lines that we should be thinking.

ATB,

Mark.