[postgis-devel] RFC - Orientation checking and forcing functions

Daniel Baston dbaston at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 05:29:56 PST 2017

OK, so some alternatives I see are:

1) rename the functions to more clearly indicate that they only consider
polygons (ST_ForcePolygonCW, ST_IsPolygonCW ? )
2) modify new functions and ST_ForceRHR to also consider orientation of
closed LineStrings
3) modify new functions to also consider closed LineStrings, without
modifying ST_ForceRHR

I don't like the idea of modifying ST_ForceRHR, since it has existed
forever, and modifying this would also suggest changes to ST_ForceLHR,
whose implementation is contained within SFCGAL.

I'm inclined towards #1.  Do people have any thoughts on these
alternatives, or maybe a different solution?

Dan