[postgis-devel] Build PostgreSQL With XML Support on Linux

Osahon Oduware osahon.gis at gmail.com
Wed May 31 05:21:16 PDT 2017

Hi All,

I successfully built PostgreSQL from source on Linux (Centos 7) using the
following:
./configure --prefix=/home/nagispg/local/pgsql --with-libxml --with-libxslt

Prior to this I had installed the xml and xslt packages (amongst others)
using:
yum install libxml2-devel
yum install libxslt-devel

However, when I try to store XML data in a table I get an error. The log
file states that I need to rebuild PostgreSQL with --with-libxml.

When I run pg_config I get the following output:
BINDIR = /home/nagispg/local/pgsql/bin
DOCDIR = /home/nagispg/local/pgsql/share/doc
HTMLDIR = /home/nagispg/local/pgsql/share/doc
INCLUDEDIR = /home/nagispg/local/pgsql/include
PKGINCLUDEDIR = /home/nagispg/local/pgsql/include
INCLUDEDIR-SERVER = /home/nagispg/local/pgsql/include/server
LIBDIR = /home/nagispg/local/pgsql/lib
PKGLIBDIR = /home/nagispg/local/pgsql/lib
LOCALEDIR = /home/nagispg/local/pgsql/share/locale
MANDIR = /home/nagispg/local/pgsql/share/man
SHAREDIR = /home/nagispg/local/pgsql/share
SYSCONFDIR = /home/nagispg/local/pgsql/etc
PGXS = /home/nagispg/local/pgsql/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk
CONFIGURE = '--prefix=/home/nagispg/local/pgsql'
CC = gcc
CPPFLAGS = -DFRONTEND -D_GNU_SOURCE
CFLAGS = -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
-Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -Wmissing-format-attribute
-Wformat-security -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -fexcess-precision=standard
-O2
CFLAGS_SL = -fpic
LDFLAGS = -L../../src/common -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-rpath,'/home/nagispg/
local/pgsql/lib',--enable-new-dtags
LDFLAGS_EX =
LDFLAGS_SL =
LIBS = -lpgcommon -lpgport -lz -lreadline -lrt -lcrypt -ldl -lm
VERSION = PostgreSQL 9.6.2

>From the above, the LIBS doesn't indicate the presence of xml or xslt (i.e
-lxslt -lxml2).

Could someone point me to what I am doing wrong.