[postgis-devel] Splitting core and raster extensions, an update

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Sun Nov 5 19:05:35 PST 2017

On Wed, Nov 01, 2017 at 12:06:18AM +0100, G. Allegri wrote:
> I wasn't aware how complicated it was splitting raster from postgis!

For a user, you mean ? How could it be made simpler ?
I've been thinking that we could, instead of:

 - ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE;
 - CREATE EXTENSION postgis_raster FROM unpackaged;

We could do something like:

 - CREATE EXTENSION postgis_raster FROM postgis;
 - ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE;

Would the above look simpler ?
Although the former would allow you to actually _drop_
raster (via script) instead of creating it from
unpackaged.