[postgis-devel] [geos-devel] GEOS C++ API deprecated? (was: PostGIS 2.5 what should be minimum requirements?)

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Sun Oct 1 11:47:51 PDT 2017

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 09:26:42PM +0200, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> /topic changed
> /cc geos-devel
>
> On 30 September 2017 at 20:47, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:

> >   ### Using the C++ interface (discouraged)
> >
> >   NB: The C++ interface should not be used directly; the GEOS project
> >   views it as a bug for another program to use the C++ interface or even
> >   to directly link against the C++ library.
> > [...]

> > Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net> writes:
>
> Moreover, this paragraph has no rights to be there or in any official
> GEOS writing.
> I'm very surprised Sandro allowed it in - I assume a merge in rush.

Maybe "a bug" is too much, but the "discouraged" label is important.
We don't want client software to use the C++ API, and you see the
reason today (GEOS is kept back in Debian because a client used the
C++ API).

> Finally, even if GEOS C++ API was/is marked as deprecated, then I ask
> where is the RFC, where is the PSC voting the motion,
> where is the public announcement?

Idea was announced here:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geos-devel/2005-April/001375.html

Work was announced here:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geos-devel/2005-September/001574.html

First release and recommendation to avoid C++ API was here:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geos-devel/2005-November/001619.html

I'm not aware of any motion to explicitly mark C++ API as "deprecated"
but as it's effectively not maintained, it is continuosly "deprecated".