[postgis-devel] [geos-devel] RFC6 - Drop GEOS C++ API at GEOS 3.8

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Sun Oct 1 20:19:48 PDT 2017

Kurt,

Thanks for responding.  It's still on the table.  I just wanted to air out the issues.

I was referring to install of headers.

Sandro et. al,

Getting back to your option with ./configure, would it be possible to only allow enabling of the C++ API if it's being built as a static library.  I think our main issue is when it's shared.

So if you link dynamically you'd be forced to use the C-API since you are impacting other possible application use.  If done statically, we don't care cause you are mixing your own soup.

The alternative thought is to start earnestly taking care of the ABI compatibility of the C++ API  and ensuring we don't recklessly break it.

I don't think we should do that unless someone is willing to support the work or fund the extra effort to continually support it.

Thanks,

Regina