[postgis-devel] EXTENSION upgrade scripts are now symlinks

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Fri Oct 6 13:35:45 PDT 2017

Next supports going back.  That's how I force the script to rerun.

CREATE EXTENSION postgis VERSION "2.5.0";

ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE "2.5.0next";

ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE "2.5.0";

As Steve said, let's not muck with the pg_catalog system.  It's more useful to try to improve on the extension system than try to go thru the back door.

I'm sure other extension developers are similarly frustrated with the plethora of scripts.  So it would be more useful to implement an idea of

What I'll call "Virtual Scripts"  which would essentially be a separate file with regex or something that define

postgis-2.**--postgis-2.5.0.sql  ->  postgis-ANY—2.5.0.sql

That would give us the freedom of defining extra scripts for special versions or just have single as we do now.

I don't think you can have a 'next'  as is because you still have to have a mechanism of defining all the migration paths.

And you can't really use something like a function  SELECT postgis_upgrade()   if it has to interact with the file system to pull in a script file.