[postgis-devel] Allowing use of PostGIS EXTENSION w/out raster
strk at kbt.io
Sun Oct 8 15:21:11 PDT 2017
I'm starting this thread to gather opinions about two current
proposals for allowing people to use POSTGIS via the EXTENSION
mechanism but w/out being forced to also have RASTER.
The proposals are:
1) Move raster to its own extension "postgis_raster"
2) Provide two versions of extension "postgis"
Implementation of the first proposal is ready for test in a git
For each proposal we should consider:
- How users can enable/disable raster
proposal 1: CREATE/DROP EXTENSION postgis_raster
proposal 2: ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE TO "<x>"/"<x>noraster"
- How users can upgrade from older versions of postgis
p1: ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE; CREATE EXTENSION postgis_raster FROM unpackaged;
p2: ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE; -- what if default version is w/out raster ?
- How users can update to future versions of postgis
p1: ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE; ALTER EXTENSION postgis_raster UPDATE;
p2: ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE; -- what you get depends on installed flavor
Anything else to consider ?
More information about the postgis-devel