[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Change PostGIS library name to drop the minor

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Sep 6 07:48:22 PDT 2017

>> That s the other reason I'd like to stop supporting versions of
>> PostgreSQL that can't take full feature of a PostGIS version.  It's so
>> easy to mess them up.

> Doing so would make the pg_upgrade issue even worst.
> Let's not drop support for old versions just because they are not full featured.

> --strk;

I beg to differ.  If we just called the lib file postgis-2  we could drop old PostgreSQL versions to our hearts content.
It wouldn't matter to anyone except for those crazy people who insist on running newer PostGIS on older PostgreSQL.

It would also solve the issue we have that PostgreSQL 9.4 2.4 upgrading to PostgreSQL 9.6 2.4 is missing all the good stuff like true KNN and some parallel safe stuff we put in.

We would not need to do a whole bunch of Dos  (and checks ohh let me see which version of PostgreSQL are you coming from) to try to get a 9.4 2.4 to work correctly when migrated to 9.6 2.4

Thanks,
Regina