[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Change PostGIS library name to drop the minor

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 11:04:41 PDT 2017

On 06/09/17 18:40, Regina Obe wrote:

> This nice feature of pgRouting we can't have because all our data is
> tied to PostGIS, so a DROP EXTENSION of postgis can not be done without
> losing your data.

Right, especially as spatial datasets often have a tendency to be very
large.

I wonder if there is some possibility to mark various pg_types during
CREATE TYPE as "SAFE" which means that if the type is removed via DROP
TYPE, the data remains but the default input/output functions default
back to bytea? Then it wouldn't matter so much because you could always
do a DROP EXTENSION, and then when the type is reintroduced with a
subsequent CREATE EXTENSION then the new input/output functions would
take over and all would be well.

ATB,

Mark.