[postgis-devel] [MOTION] remove generated parser files from repo

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Sep 26 15:06:05 PDT 2017

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 05:05:26AM -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>> Having them checked in provides a certain stability and predictability.

Yah I forget why we did this.  I think it had something to do with different bison / lex versions doing producing strange output.
I'd much rather we have something to intentionally force recreate.  At any rate we aren't going to do this for 2.4.  It's too late to be changing that at RC time.

> Only if you don't accidentally override them as happens in Debbie.
Yah we should do something about this annoying overriding.  It happens to me often and causes false errors for me locally when it happens.

> Beside, there unpredictability also due to other dependencies and to compiler being used and  flags passed it, so that aspect should maybe be taken care of in a different way (official build environment Docker?)

> --strk;
I don't think you can wave this away with docker.  People are still going to be building from our source control and not necessarily a tar ball.  So we have to be considerate about these folks.

Unless I'm missing something I don't see how Docker is going to help with that.

Thanks,
Regina