[postgis-devel] PostGIS 2.5 what should be minimum requirements?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Sep 30 11:47:07 PDT 2017

Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net> writes:

>> There isn't agreement about whether it is a bug for packages to use the
>> GEOS C++ API.  If it really is a bug, GEOS is buggy for installing the
>> headers.
>
> Please, can we stop this heresy?
> I'm tired of explaining GEOS C++ API status.

So do you agree with this, taken from the geos README (in 3.6.2):

  ### Using the C++ interface (discouraged)

  NB: The C++ interface should not be used directly; the GEOS project
  views it as a bug for another program to use the C++ interface or even
  to directly link against the C++ library.  The C++ library name will
  change on every minor release because it is too hard to know if there
  have been ABI changes.  (The C library uses the C++ interface, but the
  C library follows normal ABI-change-sensitive versioning, so programs
  that link only against the C library should work without relinking
  when GEOS is upgraded.)

  To compile programs against the C++ lib:

      CFLAGS += `geos-config --cflags`
      LDFLAGS += `geos-config --ldflags` -lgeos
      #include <geos.h>

  Basic usage examples can be found in `doc/example.cpp`.

Or do you think something else?  It genuinely seems to me that there are
multiple opinions out there.