[postgis-devel] PostGIS 3.0 development begins

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Aug 20 06:46:43 PDT 2018

I don't think we should follow that convention because postgis is an extension of postgresql and not a regular library.

So postgis-3 for pg10 would be different from postgis-3 for postgresql 11

Besides those rules aren't used under windows so we'd have to come up with a convention for windows if we went down that path.

That said – we had discussed truly following the postgresql extension model of not having a version number at all – just calling it postgis.so/dll/dylib whatever, but I think that was considered too drastic of a change since it would mean a postgis-2.5 (or whatever) couldn't coexist in the same PostgreSQL version/service as postgis-3 and since we may be changing on disc format etc, this would be an unpleasant hindrance for not much benefit.