[postgis-devel] PostGIS 3 thought experiment
lr at pcorp.us
Wed Jan 17 10:42:03 PST 2018
I added get rid of the minor version in the lib file to make pg_upgrade easier and not require us to support newer versions of PostgreSQL in older versions of PostGIS.
From: postgis-devel [mailto:postgis-devel-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Paul Ramsey
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:44 PM
To: PostGIS Development Discussion <postgis-devel at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject: [postgis-devel] PostGIS 3 thought experiment
What else is on everyone's wish list? Preferably things you'd do if you didn't think everyone would shoot you down for being too disruptive.
* Break out a postgis_raster extension with a postgis dependency, so raster support becomes optional.
* Require installation in a 'postgis' schema, always and for ever
* Yet another serialization, this time changing to use external storage type, and adding our own compression scheme for coordinates.
* An uncompressed header, so header info can always be efficiently "sliced" and read, even for very large objects
* A hash key for use in fast and small equality comparisons (for use in cached comparison code)
* A compression format optimized for doubles
* Other compression formats with other tradeoffs (?) like TWKB for higher ratio with precision loss
* Implies indirection in coordinate access again: smaller, more efficient must be balanced against direct access to coordinates
* Move up to "modern" C and use whatever cool features we like from that
* Modern GEOS version requirement?
* Some major GEOS surgery to allow memory management by palloc?
* Some major GEOS surgery to build coordinateSequence directly on top of PostGIS pointlists?
postgis-devel mailing list
postgis-devel at lists.osgeo.org
More information about the postgis-devel