[postgis-devel] Adding 4D support to asGeoJson

Alexandre Lessard alessard at mapgears.com
Wed Jan 31 13:39:57 PST 2018

If we take a look into the OpenGIS specification of a simple featue
http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/sfa Section 6.1.2.1 the OGC
describe the 4 possible dimensions of a geometry and the fourth
dimension is describe as a measurement. Continuing on that road, ISO 31,
31-1 and ISO 80000-3 define the units of measurements and they are all
numerical (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_80000-3 Sorry for the
wikipedia link I can only find the places to buy the standard
documentation not the proper definition).

So knowing that we can now ask for an errata on the rfc7946 to define
properly the forth dimension. We can even go deeper since the SFA also
define that a 3 dimension geometry can be XYZ or XYM so we would need to
add a way to distinct the 2 to respect that standard properly.

So i suggest to do the work now for the XYZM format and propose to the
ietf modification to the RFC to respect the OGC SFA standard.

Alex